SHELL AIR & SEA SHOWAlese & Morton Pechter
Palm Beach in May? Fabulous! Be sure to bring along that sunscreen, a beach blanket and/or chairs, a hat, some water and a free spirit as you will surely want to spend at least one day at the 1997 Shell Air & Sea Show.
This year, scheduled for May 3rd and 4th, it will be the biggest show ever. Fun and excitement for all ages. In its third year, this major oceanfront spectacular will be a salute to the U.S. Military as the U.S. Airforce celebrates its 50th anniversary. The Air Force Thunderbirds will fill the sky along with other supersonic military and world-class civilian air and sea action.
Mickey Markoff, executive producer of this extravaganza, has promised to outshine his two previous shows in Florida.
The Show Hotline for information is:
(954) 527-5600 .. Ext.88
If all the strategic planning falls into place, we will see:
Are you breathless yet? We certainly were, but there is lots more taking place.
The SEA part will include:
We bet you think that is enough .. day runs into night and there are activities planned for the evening also.
Saturday night includes the free Walgreens Jazz Night on the beach under the stars. The evening features the Captain Morgan's Concert starring Dave Koz, followed by the Miller Lite Fireworks Extravaganza.
Several of the sponsors are doing special promotions prior to the show so if you are in town early you might want to check them out.
* Walgreens will be giving away free show programs at their Miller Lite display. Programs will also be inserted in the May issue of Florida Sportsfan Magazine.
* Also at Walgreens, the Coca Cola end-isle displays will feature register-to-win contests. Prizes include a Wellcraft Scarab boat with Mercruiser engine, and "bootcamp" lessons at Wellcraft's high performance boat racing school.
* Another Coca Cola promotion, for Powerade, will run at Shell stations with a contest to win Sea·Doo personal water vehicles and Carnival Cruises.
* Crystal Springs Water together with Fit America will have a register-to-win contest for a motorized paraglider and a Carnival Cruise.
* Winn Dixie will offer customers who buy certain products free tickets for show seating in the Winn Dixie Family Flight Zone on the beach at show center.
* Comcast Cablevision will give away a Carnival Cruise.
* AMC Theaters will give away commemorative Shell Air & Sea Show pins.
Oh, and be sure to bring a radio along with you. Although there will be a speaker system at the beach, you will get much better information via the radio, staying tuned to WINZ, News Radio 940. They will broadcast the aerial portion of the event live .. and you will know what planes are flying overhead as they zoom past you.
Brigadier General Walter Vartan, USAF Retired will be doing the announcing and he really knows his aircraft and lots of interesting stories and facts about the planes and the missions they flew.
There will be concessions all along the beach route. Novelties, event programs, food and beverages can be purchased, with 10% of the sales going to charities.
The show can be seen along three miles of Ft. Lauderdale beach from Oakland Park Blvd. to Las Olas Boulevard. The show center is at Sunrise Blvd. and A1A. Our advice is to make an early start as there is sure to be traffic, but from what we have heard, it will be worth the trip.
The Concessions and Display Village will be open from 9am to 5pm Saturday and Sunday. Both days the water activities will take place from 10am to 12 noon and the air show from noon to 4pm. The Saturday evening entertainment will run from 8pm to 10pm.
We shall be there for the entire event. Look for two people in funny-looking hats and carrying big cameras. If you spot us, please say "hello.
The Show Hotline for information is: (954) 527-5600 .. Ext.88
© 1997 Alese & Morton Pechter
Web design and graphics by: Palm Beach Online